NJASC Advisors Update - February 12, 2013
Here is the latest news about what is going on in your state Student Council association, and what you need to know for our upcoming events. Click on each headline below to read the full story...
On Monday February 4, your 2012 State Officers met one last time at Shore Regional High School to conclude their work at the annual NJASC Executive Transition meeting. We would like to personally thank each of these outstanding student leaders and their advisors for all they have done over the past year to exemplify and support student leadership in our association and throughout our state. They accomplished a lot and had a lot of fun doing it, working together extremely well as a board. They have set a high standard for the nine student leaders that will now follow in their footsteps...
In their final official act, the 2012 State Officers voted outgoing Secretary Erica Rubin onto the NJASC Board of Trustees to serve a one-year term, replacing 2010 Vice President Samantha Campbell who served in this capacity in the past year. You can CLICK HERE to view our Board of Trustees and Bylaws of Incorporation. We wish each of our 2012 State Officers well in their future endeavors, and look forward to seeing them again at the Spring Awards Program at Six Flags Great Adventure this coming May. For more information about this upcoming event, one of the largest Student Council events in the nation, read on...
Meanwhile, your 2013 State Officers have officially begun their work! Led by new State President Madison Brown (Phillipsburg HS) and Vice President Emily Cassidy (Mount Olive HS), they conducted their first Executive Meeting and selected as their theme "Jersey STRONG! - Students That Represent Our Next Generation".
We look forward to working with this dynamic group of student leaders in the coming year as show everyone why when it comes to student leadership, we are Jersey STRONG! You can CLICK HERE to visit the Executive Board section of the NJASC website and learn more about your new State Officers.
Online registration is now OPEN for the 2013 NJASC Spring Awards Program, which will be held on Thursday May 16 at Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson.
We encourage you to join nearly five thousand fellow student leaders and advisors from throughout New Jersey as we recognize excellence in Student Council programs, community service, and outstanding support of the 2012-2013 NJASC State Charity "Hugs For Brady". Awards that will be given at this program include:
- Standards of Excellence - schools involved in this program are currently working to evaluate each other and share ideas to improve their Student Council programs.
- Community Smile - more information is provided in the panels below.
- State Charity Awards - more information is provided in the panels below.
A link to our ONLINE REGISTRATION FORM is provided at the bottom of this section, or you can use the link on the left sidebar of any page on our website to access it. We also have placed a direct link on the Download Forms page to access this online form.
|IMPORTANT: Schools that do not renew their NJASC Membership prior to APRIL 15, 2013 will have to pay the non-member registration rate!
For reference, CLICK HERE for a list of current NJASC member schools.Therefore, if your school has not paid its membership for 2012-2013, we strongly encourage you to do so NOW! You can access our online 2012-2013 Membership registration form at the bottom of this section.
Registration Information - while Six Flags has substantially increased prices in the 2013 operating season we have been able to keep the costs relatively stable for our Spring Awards Program...
- Students - $33.00 for member schools / $38.00 for non-members
- Students with 2013 Six Flags Season Pass - $8.00 for member schools / $13.00 for non-members
- Advisors/Discounted (1 for every 10 students) - $20.00 for member schools / $25.00 for non-members, which INCLUDES lunch. Please be sure to follow guidelines in the drop down menu that specify how many students you need to bring to get this discounted rate for a given number of advisors - failure to do so could delay or invalidate your registration.
- Advisors/Regular - $50.00 each
- Student Lunches - $17.50 each, which also includes a FREE return ticket to Six Flags for any day in their 2013 operating season.
- Half Price Bus Parking - $12.50 per bus, you must register before April 30 to take advantage of this offer.
NOTE: If you have other groups in your school attending Six Flags for class trips or other events this Spring, you may be able to actually obtain park admission tickets THROUGH US CHEAPER than by contacting Six Flags directly. Tickets obtained through NJASC are valid for park admission on any day in the 2013 operating season.
If your school is interested in taking advantage of such an opportunity, please contact Wendy ASAP at email@example.com.
Payment Information - the online form will keep a running total for you while completing the drop down menus for number of students, advisors, meals, etc.
- You will need to manually enter this total into the "Amount Due" field near the bottom of the form.
- Click on the SUBMIT button once. A confirmation e-mail will be sent to you which contains all information entered into the online form.
- Print out the confirmation e-mail, submit it to your Business Office to process payment, and have them mail payment to the NJASC Southern Office (address given on the confirmation e-mail).
TO UPDATE YOUR MEMBERSHIP FOR THE 2012-2013 SCHOOL YEAR:
TO REGISTER YOUR SCHOOL FOR THE 2013 SPRING AWARDS PROGRAM:
If you have any questions about or problems with our Online Registration system, please contact Lou at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have changes in numbers of students or advisors please DO NOT re-register; instead e-mail Lou with the changes and he will update your registration.
Here are two opportunities for YOUR Student Council to receive a statewide award for service to school and community as well as support of our State Charity! Make sure your student leaders take advantage of them and bring home some hardware from Six Flags on May 16...
Community Smile Award
Each year, NJASC provides the opportunity for member schools to be recognized for their many hours of school and community service through the Community Smile Program. To view past winners of this award, CLICK HERE to visit the Community Smile award page.
This award is EASY to apply for and receive! All you need to do is complete and submit the application form, detailing the type of service activities that your Student Council conducts and number of student-hours that are dedicated to them. We encourage ALL member schools to take advantage of this attainable opportunity to gain recognition for your Student Council! Links to the application form are provided below...
COMMUNITY SMILE AWARD
To be considered for this award, the completed form must be mailed to the Southern Office by 4/30/2013
State Charity Awards
We have already heard of several successful events throughout New Jersey in support of "Hugs For Brady", our 2012-2013 NJASC State Charity. We also know that many of you are planning to conduct such events in the near future to help us reach the overall goal of over $120,000 statewide!
To learn more about "Hugs For Brady" and other recent State Charities, CLICK HERE to visit our State Charity page. As we begin to compile many donations from throughout the state, which will be presented to "Hugs For Brady" at the Spring Awards Program on May 16, the 2012 State Officers thank you for your support of this worthy cause. Meanwhile, the 2013 State Officers will soon begin the process of selecting the next State Charity for 2013-2014, which will also be announced at the Spring Awards Program.
As in past years, we will present award plaques to Student Councils whose State Charity donations qualify for the $1000 Club, $2000 Club, $5000 Club or $10,000 Club plus trophies to the top three high and middle schools statewide. Here are some imporant reminders regarding State Charity donations:
- All donation checks must be made PAYABLE TO NJASC; please note that any donations that are made payable or paid directly to Hugs For Brady will not be counted toward State Charity award totals for your school or the overall state donation.
- For record keeping purposes, all donations should be accompanied by a completed State Charity Donation Form (links below) and mailed to the Southern Office (P.O. Box 968, Delran NJ 08075) by April 30, 2013.
- If you have a donation that must be sent to us after this deadline and would like to make a pledge commitment, please contact Wendy BEFORE April 30 to ensure that a plaque for your school will be ready in time for the Spring Awards Program.
STATE CHARITY DONATION FORM
If your school will be submitting its' donation after this date, please e-mail email@example.com to ensure a plaque will be ready in time.
On Friday February 8, Wendy Booth Sitzler and Joe Fasanella conducted the first annual NJASC Advisors' Conference at The College of New Jersey.
Pictured above are some of the advisors taking part in "Elected To Lead Everyone", a training session used at the annual NJASC Leadership Training Conference (LTC) and just one of several activities at this new event which featured the following:
- Ice Breakers - to meet fellow advisors from across New Jersey and learn a couple things about them, and yourself.
- "True Colors" - learning your leadership style and working with those who have others!
- "Elected to Lead Everyone" - just like we do it at LTC, only Advisor style!
- "Let X = Student Activities" - a video presentation of the Alliance for Student Activities promoting the important of co-curricular activities (such as Student Council) and the fact that participation in them INCREASES test scores and REDUCES dropout rates.
- Panel of Experts - to share their experience and wisdom with those in attendance.
Here are some quotes from those advisors who attended...
- "The activities were great...I plan to use them with my students!"
- "I am going to show the video to my peers, it was inspiring"
- "I learned some great activities to use for the start of school!"
- "I wish we had more time, if only there was no snow!"
- "I will be back next year!"
And so will we - thank you to all the advisors who braved a snowy day to come to The College of New Jersey and participate in this event! We now look forward to the Advisors' Conference becoming an annual feature of our NJASC program to enhance student leadership programs and the experience of those trained professionals (that's you!) who advise and facilitate them.
Join our State Officers and nearly one thousand fellow student leaders and advisors from throuhgout the nation at the 2013 NASC National Conference at Sunrise Mountain High School - in Las Vegas!
The 2013 State Officers will lead our New Jersey state delegation to this annual event and we are inviting you to join them (and us) from Friday June 21 to Wednesday June 26 for a unique leadership experience that promises to be invigorating and exciting.
The NASC National Conference offers an opportunity to meet and network with other leaders from across the United States, obtain new ideas from informative speakers and workshops, and explore innovative ideas about service learning.
It is on this trip that we discover many of the speakers that we bring back to New Jersey for the Fall Business Meeting and Winter Convention. You and your student leaders will come away with renewed enthusiasm for student council involvement as well as new projects and ideas to implement, thereby developing stronger leadership skills and friendships. More information about our delegation trip to this conference is now available, use the links below...
- Tentative Trip Itinerary - includes tentative itinerary and per person costs
- Deposit Reservation Form - please send with $400.00 per person deposit to Northern Office (Brooklawn MS by February 28.
- NASC National Conference website - click this link to visit the official NASC National Conference page
At this time we are asking that anyone interested in joining our state delegation please e-mail Lou at firstname.lastname@example.org with their intent by Thursday February 28. A $400.00 deposit per person is due to Lou at the Northern Office by Wednesday February 28. Please note that any student who is not a State Officer MUST be accompanied by their advisor or another teacher or administrator from their school and/or district. If you have any further questions about our trip to the 2013 NASC National Conference, please contact Lou at the above e-mail address.
|CLICK the license plate above to visit our new LTC website at www.ltcnj.org|
We have opened registration for LTC 2013, and are asking for your help as we spread the word and encourage more delegates to attend LTC not only from your schools, but throughout the state...
|We are keeping the registration cost for LTC 2013 at only $399.00 for four days and three nights of a leadership experience like no other. Yes, there is NO PRICE INCREASE from 2011 or 2012, and at just under $100.00 per day including all expenses (lodging, meals, etc.) LTC is a leadership bargain!|
|LTC is not just for Student Council - we encourage student leaders from athletic teams, clubs/activities, National Honor Society, class office, and anyone else interested in discovering or developing their leadership skills to join us!|
|We invite your High School student leaders who have already attended LTC to come back for "LTC 2", our advanced program that will take their leadership skills to the next level. LTC 2 will also help in their transition from success in high school to further success in college and beyond!|
|Check out the testimonials from students, advisors, parents, and school administrators about the LTC experience and how it transformed those who attended! If you would like us to add your testimonial to the new LTC website, send it to Lou at email@example.com.|
As you can see, we strongly believe in our Leadership Training Conference and how it has transformed thousands of student leaders who have attended it over the years. For those of you who regularly send delegates to LTC, we thank you for your past and continuing support. If you have not sent delegates to LTC recently, we strongly encourage you to consider doing so in 2013 and beyond - it will make a difference for your Student Council, and in the life of those you send.
TO RESERVE SPACE FOR STUDENTS FROM YOUR SCHOOL TO ATTEND LTC 2013:
TO BEGIN REGISTRATION FOR A DELEGATE TO ATTEND LTC 2013:
With the increased number of member schools and attendees at our seasonal conferences this year, be sure to reserve places for your school as soon as possible so that your student leaders don't miss out on this one-of-a-kind leadership training experience!
For more information, be sure to visit our new LTC website at www.LTCNJ.org.
Finally, as always we would like to thank you for your support of the NJASC and student leaders throughout New Jersey!